Losing teeth can affect your mental and physical health. Mentally, many people lose confidence in their appearance when tooth loss occurs. Teeth also help support the shape of your face. Physically, people need their teeth for chewing food and pronouncing certain words, including the word “teeth”. Partial or complete dentures offer a solution to restore the function and appearance of your smile. At Smile Structure Dentistry & Braces, we provide advanced, affordable dentures in San Antonio.
However, even though denture teeth are false, it’s still essential to clean them regularly. Cleaning dentures involves more than brushing, though. Other steps are necessary to keep your dentures in excellent condition and maintain good oral health.
Denture Care – Do’s
- Take care of your dentures so they can serve you well for as long as possible.
- Remove and rinse dentures after every meal.
- Remove your dentures before bed and soak overnight.
- Rinse off the denture-soaking solution from dentures thoroughly before putting them back in your mouth to avoid swallowing harmful chemicals.
- Brush your dentures every day with ADA-approved denture cleaner and a toothbrush with extra-soft bristles. It’s essential to do this over a table or sink with a soft towel below to ensure your dentures don’t break if you drop them.
- Have your dentures professionally cleaned and examined regularly. Loose dentures can cause irritation, sores and infection.
Denture Care – Don’ts
- Don’t use sharp items (like toothpicks) along your dentures, as they can slip and harm your gums.
- Don’t use rough cleaning materials, such as harsh toothpaste, stiff bristle toothbrushes or potent cleansers. These could eventually destroy your dentures.
- Avoid using bleach-containing products to prevent weakening and altering the color of your dentures.
- Avoid submerging dentures with metal components in chlorine solutions to prevent the chlorine from corroding and tarnishing the metal parts.
- Avoid putting your dentures in scolding water, as it could warp them.
- Avoid eating fast and take small bites.
- Avoid biting down on solid items (like hard candy, apples and corn on the cob) with your dentures to prevent damage or dislodge.
Keep Dentures Moist at All Times
Keeping dentures moist is crucial to ensure their long life. So, keep them submerged in denture solution or water whenever you’re not wearing them.
Dry dentures can lead to several issues. including:
- They become uncomfortable and painful to wear.
- They turn brittle and more prone to shatter.
- They can easily get contaminated if not soaked in a cleaning solution overnight.
Daily Oral Care
Even if you don’t have any teeth along the gumline, you still need to regularly brush your gums, the roof of the mouth and even your tongue to get rid of plaque and bacteria. This also helps stimulate and improve circulation in gum tissues.
Dentures in San Antonio
To learn more about taking exceptional care of your dentures, contact us at Smile Structure Dentistry & Braces or visit our clinics in South or Northwest San Antonio, TX. We will be more than happy to answer any of your questions and book your appointment today.
Posted on behalf of